Unit 17 Disabilities DISABLED? NOT ME!
Types of disabilities
paralyzed (can't move) Physical lame (can't walk properly) disability blind (lose one's sight) deaf
(lost one's hearing)
dumb (can't speak)
Mental disability: problems with one's brain
Paralyzed and dumb
dancing in Silence
Tai Lihua: Deaf and dumb
(瘫痪的 瘫痪的) 瘫痪的
Helen Keller writer
deaf and blind
Read the whole text quickly and try to find the topic sentence of each paragraph.
Para.1 I know people are trying to help, but I wish they wouldn't treat me as if I were a child. Para. 2 Today there are more opportunities for disabled people to develop their potential, live a richer life and make a contribution to society. Para.3 Disabled people need recognition more than sympathy and help. Para. 4 Like all of us, disabled people also need inspiration and encouragement. Para. 5 About one third of the articles in Literature of Chinese blind children are written by disabled authors and blind children. Para. 6 Living with disability is frustrating and challenging.
1.Zhong Xiaowen doesn't wish to be treated as a little child. 2. Xiaowen's story serves as an example to show that physical disabilities can't limit a can person's life. Gifted 3. All the disabled students can receive education in the Beijing Union University. 4. The disabled people need both recognition and inspiration and encouragement . 5.The articles in " Literature of Chinese Blind Children"are often about blind people.. only disabled people
6. Literature of Chinese Blind Children is a great help in encouraging blind children to overcome difficulties and challenges. 7. In 2000 Ye Zijie was invited to London and became the first Chinese to study abroad. visually impaired 8. It might be frustrating and challenging to live with disability.
Reading the passage carefully and choose the best answer.
1. Xiaowen, who is disabled, won an award for _________. A. young student B. her talent C. her disability D. young scientist 2. Xiaowen's favorite subject is computer science, which shows ________. A. she is interested in science B. she is fond of medicine C. she has some interest in animals D. she takes great interest in space
3. What makes Xiaowen so different is that _______ A. she is healthy and likes to makes friends with others. B. she is disabled and likes to do some scientific research. C. she never wants others to treat her in a different way. D. she want to get help from those who are disabled, too.
4. Xiaowen's example wants to tell us that__________. A. the disabled can do what we normal people do B. the disabled are cleverer than those who healthy C. everyone can realize his or her dream D. everyone should follow their example
"fair fair" 5. The word "fair" in line 2,Para2, has the same meaning as the one in __. A. It is not fair to separate blacks from whites. B. Tom is a tall man with fair skin. C. As the weather forecast predicted, it turned fair in the afternoon. D. Many VIP will attend the food fair to be held in Wenzhou.
6.The best way for the whole society to help disabled people is to ______.
A. B. C. D.
assist them to set up their own business help them go back to schools and find jobs open the doors and offer guidance to them get them a lot of money and let them enjoy their lives
"launch launch" 7. The word "launch" in line 3 Para 3, means _____. D.颁布 A. 发射 B. 下水 C. 创立 D.颁布 8. The disabled in the author's opinion need all except _____. A. recognition B. sympathy and help C. discrimination D. inspiration and encouragement
9. What the text suggests is that______ A. people with disabilities want to be treated equally as normal ones. B. people with disabilities want to go wherever they want to. C. the healthy should try to help those disabled people who are in trouble. D. we ordinary people should help each other.
10. We can infer from the passage that ___ A. the disabled are useless B. we should look down upon the disabled C. the disabled can do something as well as or better than normal people if they are helped D. there is no opportunity for the disabled to make a contribution to society
11. Literature of Chinese Blind Children is an example of ______. A. a meaningful and productive life B. inspiration and motivation C. success of the disabled D. stories about the disabled 12. Which is not so important to disabled people according to the text? _______. A. People's help. B. People's sympathy. C. People's inspiration. D. People's recognition.
13. What can be inferred from the title " Disabled, not me"? A. The disabled are not satisfied with their condition. B. The disabled always dream of becoming normal ones. C. They are sure they can play a valuable role and make contributions to society as normal people. D. They want to escape from the reality of being disabled.
Description of a person or a thing
Zhong Xiaowen's difficulties as well as her success (Para 1-2).
Name Age Success Zhong Xiaowen Sixteen Sex Nationality Female Chinese
She is one of the best students in her class She won an award for young scientists. She was born without the ability to use her legs. She has no feeling below the waist. Use a wheelchair Computer science
How does she get around Favorite subject
Literature of Chinese Blind Children
Founder Time Readers Content Importance Xu Bailun 1985 most of them are disabled The disabled have overcome difficulties and learn to live a meaningful and productive life inspiration & encouragement
Read the passage again. Finish the Post-reading Exercises on page 52. Finish WB exercises on page 125.
高二英语下学期unit17 reading 旧人教版[免费课件]发布时间:
Unit 17 Disabilities DISABLED? NOT ME!